Sunday, March 15, 2009

SoS #5: Squishy and a Polka-dot X-Wing

So... sorry I missed last week, and that I haven't posted any of those new projects yet, but school's been pretty busy lately.  So this week I decided to put up TWO projects!!


Squishy!
Squishy was my first crochet project EVER.  The only crocheting I'd done before him was the strap for a market-bag I made for a friend (the bag itself was knit and beaded).  Squishy generally lives sitting atop my computer monitor and actually has eight legs, though they were a bit hard to fit on.

Though I generally prefer knitting to crocheting - I still find crocheting quite awkward and slow - I have to say though, that stuff requiring shaping like small toys turn out really nice done in crochet.  I've done a few toys now and I like how they turned out :D

The only knitted toy I've done was a knitted ninja, and while I loved how it turned out, getting all the shaping done did get a little tricky, hehehe.


X-Wing
So this is an origami x-wing I folded.  It's another pattern from Joseph Wu's site, though the pattern itself is by Wayne Ko.

The pattern is actually a bit confusing in places - when I went to do it again(months later) I couldn't remember how I got it to work!  Nothing a bit of perseverance can't handle, however.

3 comments:

TheDarkSauron13 said...

Awww, Squishy the Octopus. I never get tired of seeing him. And some day... he will be mine.

By the way, I heard rumours that you wanted to make a bigger, squishier, animal. How is that going?

Allison said...

I love the Squishy! Someday I will teach myself to crochet and knit. Someday.

jtptan said...

It's not too hard to learn, but it does help if you've at least got somebody to go to with questions and stuff. If you ever do want to try I'd be happy to sit with you a bit :)

Post a Comment